The myth of the Poltergeist movie curse

Hey!

Welcome to We love the Eighties Community! We’re thrilled you’ve stopped by our ’80s paradise. 🌟 Here, we celebrate all things ’80s – from iconic music, movies, fashion, to the vibrant culture that defined a generation! Feel free to introduce yourself and start exploring the threads. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts, memories, or even your latest ‘80s finds! We’re excited to have you join our vibrant community. Join us to connect with fellow enthusiasts, share your favorite memories, and dive into engaging discussions that bring the nostalgia of the ‘80s to life. Whether you’re a die-hard fan or just curious about this dynamic era, you’ll find a home here.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
IMG_1001.jpeg

Do any of you avid 80s followers know about the myth of the Poltergeist movie curse? It's pretty messed up and eerie.

The myth of the Poltergeist curse is often tied back to a pivotal scene where Diane Freeling, played by JoBeth Williams, ends up in a pool that's not yet completed, surrounded by human skeletons. Williams has mentioned she was unaware at the time of filming that the skeletons used as props were genuine. "I just thought the prop department created those skeletons," Williams shared with Vanity Fair in 2022. "Years later, I bumped into one of the guys from special effects and mentioned how impressive it was that they made all those skeletons. He corrected me, 'No, we didn't make them; they were real.' I was shocked. He confirmed, 'Yes, real skeletons.'"

During or shortly after the filming of the Poltergeist series, four cast members passed away, including Heather O'Rourke. In 1987, she was incorrectly diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. While working on Poltergeist III, her treatment included cortisone and sulfa, which initially caused her face to swell. By the fall of 1987, her cortisone treatment was gradually reduced. However, when she became ill again in January 1988, nearly a year after her diagnosis, her condition was thought to be flu-like by her doctors. Her illness worsened rapidly, and she experienced a cardiac arrest on the way to the hospital after collapsing at home. Although she was revived by doctors, she went into cardiac arrest again a few hours later during surgery to relieve a bowel obstruction and sadly did not survive. She was only 12 years old. Later reports revealed her actual condition was congenital stenosis of the intestine, further complicated by septic shock, not Crohn’s disease.

Back