Sussudio Unleashed: Celebrating the 1985 Release of Phil Collins' Iconic Single

Hey!

Thanks for visiting www.WeLovetheEighties.com the #1 80s online community! If you’re a fan of the 80s decade then you’re at the right place. Register now to reminisce the 80s with us. Signing up takes less than a minute.

Pete

Mr. Eighties
Apr 29, 2023
On January 14, 1985, Phil Collins Debuts His Hit Single 'Sussudio'. It was the number one song in the U.S. from July 6-12. I still don't know what Sussudio means.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_0798.jpeg

it’s one of the words that’s used as a filler. Like no no yeah yeah. Phil said he used the word like that and it has no meaning.

it’s one of the words that’s used as a filler. Like no no yeah yeah. Phil said he used the word like that and it has no meaning.

Yes you are correct. According to Wikipedia:

Collins has said that he "improvised" the lyric. Collins was just playing around with a drum machine, and the lyric "su-sussudio" was what came out of his mouth. "So I kinda knew I had to find something else for that word, then I went back and tried to find another word that scanned as well as 'sussudio,' and I couldn't find one, so I went back to 'sussudio'", Collins said. According to Collins, the lyrics are about a schoolboy crush on a girl at school.

Back